Are you hearing what your users have to say? Do your users even have a way to voice their input? This is a case of: “If you build it, they will come.”
In the era of LinkedIn and Facebook, product managers seem to miss out on the value of crowd-sourcing in staying connected with their users. Idea sites, like Rally Idea Manager, provide a social conduit for users to converse with product managers and among themselves about product ideas (think “conversations over contract negotiation!” in the Agile manifesto). Reciprocally, these sites create a feedback loop to submitters of ideas, keeping users informed of the evolution of their ideas. Idea votes are also an underestimated value to creating quantitative business cases.
Rally Idea Manager Multisite:
This week, we are expanding our Rally Idea Manager offering to provide you with more than one social site to engage with users. Up until today, product managers using Rally Idea Manager to collect a continuous flow of user input could organize ideas into categories in a single site. If you are a large organization with very diverse products, it makes sense to have a fully dedicated idea site for each product.
With Rally Idea Manager Multisite, you can setup individual sites to manage ideas by product or by input source for a product (for example: strategic customers, partners, vertical markets, geography, etc.)
The sites all integrate with Rally, so from an Enterprise view, your development work can link to all sources of ideas with each source being tracked in a separate site.
Usage Tips for Existing Users:
If you already got your feet wet with Rally Idea Manager, here are some tips to leverage more of Rally Idea Manager:
- To spell check idea description, use the new spell checker option in the idea description field. You asked for it on Rally Ideas, we delivered!
- To show the most voted features for an idea category, select the Category from the Categories panel on the right, then click the Most Promoted tab.
- Vice-versa, to show the ideas expected to be delivered soon for a specific idea category, select a status from the Statuses panel on the right, then click the status-specific tab (your administrator can enable status-specific tabs from Setup > Ideas > Idea Tabs)
- To embed a graphic in an idea submission, attach a PNG or JPEG file type and the graphic will show in place in the idea description. Other formats (GIF, TIFF, etc..) are simply attached to the idea post.
- To track the progress of ideas from one state to another, download the all ideas report and filter by “Days in status”
- To report on ideas a specific customer is interested in, download the “idea by interest report” and filter by the specific customer name (see steps here).
Need a Booster to Get Started?
If you have not already adopted Rally Idea Manager (which comes included in your Rally Unlimited Edition) and are tempted but wonder where you’ll find the time to get your site up and running, do yourself a favor (you deserve it consider the Rally Idea Manager workshop. In a 2 day hands-on session, we will fill you in on all the best practices to leverage your site (we have been using ours – Rally Ideas for over a year) and you will leave with your site ready and some best practice techniques.
For those of you in the Denver area, come hear about Rally Idea Manager at Product Camp Denver on Oct 29!